Clay is a male MudWing and one of the dragonets in the prophecy.
Clay has the mud-brown scales typical to MudWings, with amber and gold undertones. He has unusually large feet, claws, and wings, as well as a limp after being bitten by a dragonbite viper.
Clay is kind and protective, as bigwings almost always are. It seems that he is always hungry. He is laid back, and as in The Brightest Night, he says that he wanted his destiny to be eating, being with his friends, and sleeping. He hates to harm anyone but would do anything to protect his "siblings", the other Dragonets of Destiny. He is always quick to try to stop arguments or fights. Clay thinks of himself as rather clumsy, and he's not the best at planning.
- Reed, brother
- Marsh, brother
- Sora, sister
- Pheasant, sister
- Umber, brother
- Crane, deceased sister
- Cattail, mother
- Asha, deceased aunt
Clay is one of the former Dragonets of Destiny, but rather than being stolen, his egg was traded for two cows. Later, he met Cattail who claimed "The clutch was big enough and didn't need him."
- "Mishish vemmy shmewey"
- "I'd die to save you and Starflight over and over if I had to."
- "CHICKENS, GIVE UP! WE'RE GOING TO EAT YOU AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT! STOP RUNNING AWAY NOW!"
- He once felt about as dangerous as a cauliflower.
- The Guardians of the Dragonets had to throw him into the river when he hatched because they thought he was attacking the others dragonets - who hadn't come out of their eggs yet, when really, his bigwings instinct told him to get them out of their eggs.
- His mother sold him, he didn't have a father and lost a sister before he even knew his sibs, or remotly anything about MudWing culture.